Norwich City 1 Burnley 4

As the full-time whistle sounded at Carrow Road the storm clouds were gathering which could be a bad omen for Norwich City boss Nigel Worthington.

The 4-1 scoreline in favour of visitors Burnley brought chants from a large number of the home fans of "We want Worthy out" and they will probably get their way on the back of this disappointing result for Norwich.

Burnley kicked off attacking the River End goal and were soon on the offensive. The Clarets were unlucky to see Michael Duff's close-range shot come back off Paul Gallacher's left-hand post with the game just five minutes old.

After 13 minutes Robert Earnshaw fired into the sidenetting when the home side broke quickly from defence.

Gallacher then pulled off an excellent reflex save to block a fair shot from Micah Hyde.

At the other end Dion Dublin twice failed to make contact: once with his left boot and then with his head.

James O'Connor scored the inevitable opener for Burnley in the 32nd minute, with a low left-foot shot from 12 yards beating Gallacher's despairing dive to his left.

The cross had come from man-of-the-match Steve Jones, who caused City all sorts of problems for the 86 minutes he was on the pitch.

His skill and pace on the ball, normally attributed to Darren Huckerby, and it was his 25-yard drive that brought an acrobatic save from Brian Jensen.

A trip on Huckerby brought Frank Sinclair the first yellow card of the game after 38 minutes.

Andy Gray scored a second goal for the visitors in first-half stoppage time when he planted a firm header inside the near post from 12 yards, after timing his run to connect with Wade Elliott's well-flighted right-wing cross.

At the start of the second half Earnshaw's 20-yard free-kick was too high to trouble Jensen.

Earnshaw then headed over when Lee Croft put in a telling right-wing cross.

City's woes increased when Gary Doherty was sent off for bringing down Gray and Jason Shackell came on for Patrick Boyle.

Jones set up Gray for his second goal in the 64th minute with a simple low cross which gave the forward all the time he needed to drive the ball home from ten yards out.

Peter Thorne replaced Dublin and Andy Hughes came on for Croft, while Alan Mahon came on for Elliott.

Huckerby set up Earnshaw for a consolation goal and the prolific scorer fired in a right-foot shot from the edge of the penalty area, beating Jensen's dive to his right.

But in the first second of the 90th minute, substitute Mahon had plenty of time to blast a right-foot shot past Gallacher from ten yards to make it a thoroughly miserable afternoon for the home fans in general and the Norwich manager in particular.